Translate

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Caravans, Council Estates and Class


.

I spent last weekend in a caravan at a holiday centre in the North East of England. This was my second of such adventures this year as I had been previously enticed by an offer of some collectable vouchers in a daily newspaper offering luxury caravan breaks at bargain prices. I hadn’t enjoyed the first one in July very much so I was not particularly looking forward to this one either but the difference being this break was over a weekend not a week this time around. Due to a change in circumstances we arrived on the Saturday morning rather than the designated check-in on Friday evening. Saturday night proved to be quite an experience for me and is not something I shall ever want repeated, for me it was as if I had moved to a sink estate overnight. I am not a snob and see myself as somewhat lower Middle Class in the so-called class pecking order that still pervades this country where I live. I have always worked, my parents have always worked and my grandparents all worked their whole lives and we have never been poor, never missed paying bills or mortgages and I have been brought up to be respectable, have good manners and be considerate of others. These attributes were certainly absent from a minority of my fellow caravan park dwellers on Saturday night and caused me to exhibit feelings of anger, extreme annoyance and exasperation as time moved into the early hours of Sunday morning. I have sworn never to darken the doors of one of these holiday destinations again as in my normal life I spend quite a bit of time avoiding people often labelled as a ‘chav’.
I know a lot of the media intelligentsia think that ‘chav’ is a demeaning word for the Working Class but to me it does not so much sum up a class more a certain type of individual behaviour that has become more prevalent year after year since the fall of Thatcher and then the rise and fall of Blair & Brown. I personally think these people are clueless, stupid and don’t deserve to be included in any class system breakdown whatsoever. They are thick, feral and a fucking blight that festers in the concrete council estate undergrowth that has been allowed to grow like mould in a petri dish with successive governments ignoring the issues and focusing more on looking upwards in the class chain towards the major capitalist corporations and financial bully boys rather than actually trying to bring some decency and a change of philosophy for people at the other extreme end of society instead of leaving them to rely on benefits and charitable benevolence with no decent future prospects in sight other than a weekend trip to a caravan park every now and again……………
Enjoy
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment