Translate

Friday 29 June 2012

Marks of weakness, marks of woe


Well it’s getting very close know…
So what is getting close very know you may scream ? well the bloody Olympic games in London I shall reply.
So with this eye-catching subject now grabbing your attention I thought I would pay my own little tribute to the city of my birth plus add a few views of my own surrounding it all. I love London, not the touristy parts, the expensive parts or the parts where thousands of people head into every day to sell their souls for a large salary and to support the growth of evil corporate capitalists, no I like the obscure parts, the old historical parts, the parts that make London the great city it still is hidden from the general masses as they don’t want to look for it or even try to understand it. I have no problem with the Olympics as an event but have great reservations regarding this legacy it is supposed to leave behind and also why we have to indulge and involve giant corporations sponsoring everything from the tickets, the food and building massive new shopping complexes. Most of these monolithic giants are not even British run and have already invaded so much of our modern society already as to be the most invasive presence this country has ever seen. Now we have kids (children !!) going to high school proms in stretch limousines, wearing clothing produced in Asian sweat shops stuffing their faces with processed American style food portions. We can’t even offer the general public a British beer to drink when they watch the Olympic events as the corporate brewing giant Carlsberg has seen to that and will then charge around £7.00 a pint to drink something akin to one’s own urine, no I shall take that back, I have never tasted my own urine but I have tasted theirs and I’m sure mine is better.
Now before I head off into music land once again which is my main purpose with this blog let me recommend this site as my alternative offering to all the Olympic games festivities. http://www.derelictlondon.com/


Today I have picked three tracks all with a London connection of sorts, one is about a lovely river that flows through South-West London near the old Young’s Brewery in Wandsworth, another is written by Walthamstow alumni Nick Saloman (aka Bevis Frond) and sung by an ex-busker from Salem and then finally a murder song from the great Mr Nicholas Drain Lowe born in Walton-On-Thames.
Enjoy

Danny and The Champions Of The World - Wandle Swan

Mary Lou Lord - Cold Kilburn Rain

Nick Lowe - Basing Street

No comments:

Post a Comment