Translate

Friday 17 August 2012

And as the poor worked for a life at every waking hour


Last week I had just departed the train station in a large student enclave outside a major Northern city when I saw stencilled on a wall the following  logo ‘Slave To The Wage’, this made me chuckle slightly as it hit home to me immediately that this message completely put a name to my current feelings at work. I have been a Wage Slave now for about 35 years without a major break. Not for me a life changing gap year, no staying at home in my late teens with my parents paying all the bills, no long term sick, absolutely nothing, ‘nada’, other than the six months in 1985 that I spent travelling  the USA with my best mate Paul H.
I guess almost certainly by reading these comments you can probably tell that I’ve had enough and dear readers that would be a spot on assessment of my current work life predicament. I Want Out……no more days spent listening to bullshit, staring at spreadsheets, glancing at the clock on my PC then pretending I actually care about my job, my employer, my future prospects. I’ve done my bit for Queen & Country, I’ve paid my tax, I’ve contributed to National Insurance, I’ve maintained my pension and contributed to a Union for all those years and continue to do so BUT now I want a rest and a chance to live my life the way I want and not be a Wage Slave anymore.

So I have chosen four tracks that represent a wide ranging summation of my feelings on the matter of work. We have Australian anti-capitalist/consumerism electro band Snog, next are the legendary Gourds from Austin Texas, long term purveyors of mad Alternative Country with a twist, followed by the jazz/soul ensemble The Young Holt Trio from Chicago performing live and finally from further along the States in Ohio you can find ex-Soledad Brothers member Johnny Walker’s kicking up a storm of noise with his superb new band The Cut In The Hill Gang. 

Enjoy


Snog - Corporate Slave

The Gourds - When The Money Comes Rolling In

Young Holt Trio - Aint There Something Money Cant Buy (Live Medley)

Cut in the Hill Gang - Fuck The People/Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment