Translate

Saturday 4 August 2012

Better Call Saul


I try not to watch too much TV, and most of my favourite programmes over the last few years have hardly managed to break into the mainstream TV schedules anyway. Of course BBC4 is on freeview and there you can view great Nordic Noir and I have especially enjoyed The Bridge, The Killing and Borgen recently, all of which were high class series written for people who actually like to think about what they are watching.
Thinking about this in more detail I realised that over the years I have always gravitated towards shows from the US most of all. I remember Barney Miller, The Rockford Files and Hill Street Blues. Who could forget Jack Lord on Hawaii Five-O every Friday night in the 1970’s. Recently though things have changed and American TV series have a harder more contemporary edge.

Series such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Game Of Thrones and others such as Justified, The Walking Dead, Oz, Falling Skies to name some more. Although I will admit that none of these have moved me and caused such anticipation in me every time a new series was produced until AMC’s Breaking Bad appeared in 2008. Now this is a show that deserves a wider audience, it is often only found on the more obscure satellite channels and then put on with no fanfare or advanced warning which is a TV crime because  this series has just everything. Great acting, great storylines, great music and it also has the unique ability to pull you into this fictional story and you really live these characters. I won’t bore you with a long synopsis (try Wikipedia Folks !) other than to mention that it’s the story of two men Walter White played by the majestic Bryan Cranston and Jesse Pinkman played by actor Aaron Paul and their life and death struggle to produce and sell Crystal Meth on the streets of Albuquerque, New Mexico, but it is so much more than that so please go and purchase the DVD’s, you would not be disappointed. I know the final and fifth series has just begun in the States and I am ready and waiting to see these guy’s through to a conclusion. As I have said earlier the show has tremendous background music supplied and sourced by David Porter and I was lucky enough to find a ‘homemade’ compilation on the net with all the music from the first three series, so below are a few personal choices.

Enjoy


Buddy Stuart - Sun Shine On Me

Darondo - Didn't I

Son Of Dave - Shake A Bone

Teddy Bears {Feat Eve} - Rocket Scientist

No comments:

Post a Comment